NT18SE 25.00 centred 17888 83433
NT18SE 25.01 NT 17877 83404 and NT 17905 83439 Gun-emplacements
NT18SE 25.02 NT 17914 83482 Observation post (Battery)
NT18SE 25.03 NT 17878 83493 Magazine;Tramway
NT18SE 25.04 NT 17929 83523 Observation post
NT18SE 25.05 NT 17935 83543 Building
NT18SE 25.06 NT 17799 83466 Barracks; Workshops
NT18SE 25.07 NT 17997 83487 and NT 17855 83305 Searchlight Battery (possible)
NT18SE 25.08 NT 17710 83128 Pier
Camp (disused) [NAT] (at NT 1790 8345)
OS 1:10,000 map, 1984.
Armed May 1915; 2 x 9.2" guns. Disarmed 1917.
N H Clark 1986.
This World War One battery lies in Braefoot plantation on the headland to the W of Braefoot Bay. Built of concrete and brick, the complex consists of two 9.2-inch gun emplacements with many of the support buildings such as workshops, observation post, magazines and a pier. Many of the buildings are in good condition.
J Guy 1994; NMRS MS 810/3.
This large coast battery consists of two concrete and brick gun-emplacements (NT 17877 83405 and NT 17904 83439) and several buildings all situated within Braefoot Plantation. The stone built battery observation posts, magazine and four blockhouses, workshops, stores, the dining room, guardroom and a pier are all extant.
Buildings have been noted at NT 17935 83543, NT 17797 83464, NT 17863 83418 and the magazine is at NT 17878 83493. Further buildings are situated at NT 17855 83305 and NT 17997 83487 and the pier at NT 17710 83128.
All the buildings have their windows and doors blocked with breeze blocks.
The battery is visible on RAF vertical air photographs (106G/Scot/UK 12, Pt.1, 6078-6079, flown 15 April 1946) which shows the two emplacements and all the ancilliary buildings.
Though the battery is of First World War date, there is evidence on the photographs to show occupation of the site during the Second World War. Two Nissen huts are visible immediately to the rear of the gun emplacements.
The battery and constituents is connected to the public road system by a metalled track.
Visited by RCAHMS (DE), March 2005; J Guy 1994; NMRS MS 810/3, 90